Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What She Saw - NaPoWriMo Daily Poem, April 20

The prompt today at ReadWritePoem reminded me of my Mother and Miss Foley. Seeing it is my Mother’s birthday, I felt compelled to write a poem about her…and yes, the heroism from the mother-within-both of us. Let me know what you think.

Here is the prompt:

As a child, Jessica GC says she had two heroes: Wonder Woman and her mother. “To me, they were one and the same,” says Jessica. “Both had long dark hair. Both were strikingly beautiful, and both had incredible strength.”

Write a poem in which you to pay tribute to your hero, past or present. So – here is my poem:

What She Saw

I remember sitting on stairs
Alongside Mom as she
Watched, so still, so quiet, so reflective

No need to talk
No need to whine away her focus
So it would land on my face

Her hand moved, with care and skill
As she sketched, as she made the
Home across the street take perfect

Form, on the paper turning
From three dimensional color to one
Dimensional pencil on paper

In October she said, “I can’t believe
You remember that…”
The little girl, watching

Was unknowingly looking at her future
Her mother’s grandson, hand on
The little girl’s shoulder
Silently saying “I am here”

The little girl’s knowing watched
forty years forward and forty
years, back – -

Love was what she saw

No comments:

Post a Comment