Monday, April 26, 2010

NaPoWriMo Poem Day 26: The Birth of a New Idea

Ironic synchronicity rules the prompting at ReadWritePoem. I don’t understand how you all are walking around so quietly in my brain, yet you do.

Yesterday I cleaned out a cabinet and found a collection of poems I compiled back in 2002. Today, I took one of those poems and gave new life to it. It was called “A New Idea”. Back then, most of my poetry was very life-coachy oriented which makes sense: that was my life. Being a life coach, specifically a creative life coach. Since then, I have continued to be a life coach but more than that, I have been an artist who coaches occasionally so my writing is more art first, personal development and coaching insights second instead of the other way around.

Maybe I am being called to balance now – I am not sure, but I am open to continuing a-ha’s…. perhaps that is what this poem is actually about…

As has been my habit, I started today’s poem with the end of yesterday’s poem. I am giggling because the tone between the two poems could not be more different.

The Birth of a New Idea

“Another tale or fester another drink, instead?”
Sally asks, surveying the horizon for
Accessible rampart nests
Bells, jingling the auditory scripture
Guide her floating foot path
Toward protection, alight align appear

Long curls of gold rust catch
Dawn as she opens and breathes free baby Zephyr
“Do this,” her gentle command
“Cause re-think and new thought, conception
and birth, novel assemblage…. Feed
entrepreneurs and artists, teachers, parents
and students, create – act – blow….”

Infant Zeph blinks, knowing and unknowing
Part pixie part warrior Adonis, part Xena Buddha
Somersaults and unknowing lands in my mouth
As I sit in my desk on an April morning in Bakersfield
Babe says, “Take me, allow me to be consumed
By you, swallow me, chew if you must, I suppose,
Receive me…..”

I testify of a project beginning, the flickers of
Passion’s flames licking from the inside – knowing
Only rightness of this idea-pregnancy
Allowing the slow unfolding
As I come to know Sally and Zephyr
I climb into the rampart and softly
I snooze, I dream, I hear – awaken – speak

No comments:

Post a Comment