Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 13 Poem - Yes. You. Are.

My Superheroes are Superheroines, too
Volunteers, Activists, Love-ambassadors
Those who ask the questions
Worth asking and those who
Boldly live their questions
Without worry-filled spirals

My Superheroes don’t
Wear spandex or disguises
Or capes or tights or trite sayings
They don’t put speeches in cans
Or use language others don’t understand

My Superheroes get dirty
My Superheroes take the bullet
My Superheroes find see beauty in the ordinary
My Superheroes cry and break and wheeze
My Superheroes die
And yet live in my words

My Superheroines rise above
Slapped on gender labels
Condescending slaps on the ass
Sneers down taller noses
Misunderstandings and mindless
Cataloguing

My Superheroines take on their assignments
With gleeful creativity flecked with
Blissful gratitude, awakening insights
Allow tears to transform dark hallways
Paint “ugliness” recklessly, laughingly
Welcome grief and sadness while
Holding life tightly loose, loosely tight

My Superheroines and Superheroes
Don’t need the heroines or heroes
They don’t need approval or worship
They may enjoy the occasional compliment
You, there reading – may be the next
Superheroine and Superhero for
The Next person you see

What if –
What if you are?

Yes. You.
Are.
Hero.
Heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment