Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 5: Look Under the Leaves

While this still feels rough drafty, I offer it to you anyway. The opening and closing lines come from a writing prompt at Carry On Tuesday and is a line from one of Shakespeare’s sonnets.

Where art thou, Muse?

Hidden in a haiku line or
woven into a pantoum’s sweater
There, your shadow is showing
underneath the essay’s hook

I read of you in that three
year old letter I thought
I had mailed or lost

I think I heard your call
in the song of the journeying
bird or perhaps on that worn,
leather patch on the bikers back pack

Yesterday I felt your presence
in the graffitti scrawling, slopping
on the women’s room stall

My pencil hesitates to move
to stay this bumpy, nearly
invisiible course

It is easier to claim
it is too dark to see

I wonder was it you
who left? That’s the
song I sing but

a new verse wants to
be written that is saying
it was I who turned
my back on thee.

Where art thou, Muse?

No comments:

Post a Comment