Thursday, October 21, 2010

Before I Do It

Today I realized I was too familiar

with humdrum mediocrity in the air

Stacked Special K, Trix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Vacant eyes scanning for Penne or Linguini

Surprised, each time, by the seductive

smell of the Coffee aisle

Eyes away from other eyes, pushing metal

I count my steps each night when I walk

around the block. I listen for the slap

of each footstep on the pavement and

wonder what it will be like when I no

longer lift my feet up and down

My neighbors all keep their blinds closed

And then last night, I walked through my door

and Ed, my dog, greeted me, a question

hanging from his wagging tail, his

eyes, looking into mine with a dare

I had to reach down, to touch him

Pure intention with skin

No comments:

Post a Comment