Wednesday, August 4, 2010

His Picture

From the passing car window a question-shout

“Does he have enough water to drink?”

My new friend affirms, “Yeah, there’s…”

From the car window bills are offered

“Oh, anything helps brother, anything…”

We watch, Samuel and I, from ten feet away

“He is fascinated by water meters” I hear

myself say, feebly, from someplace deep

in my belly between courage and shame

“That’s a skutgafdasniecsd meter,” he explains

I lose the word his expertise offered

Before the drive home to write

This poem. Flittered into and out of

My mind as I made a request that

Embarrassed delighted perplexed –

“May we take your photo, please?”

met silence

He spoke to the ground, “I’m no good

With pictures…” and as I said my,

“ok, that’s ok tumbled over his “pictures”

and Samuel brought our conditional

too small anyway addition to his coffer

He allowed us.

To take it.

His picture.

I didn’t predict

When I set out today

To have my head turned by

An intriguing water meter

Zap think “Photo Op!”

To have my gut turned.

By his picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment