Thursday, January 20, 2011

January 20, 2011: This Morning....

Samuel’s bus arrived, right on time, despite the foggy conditions outside my window which block my view of much of anything.

I woke him up early and suggested he play with his WII before he set off, knowing some play time might help his school time. He would leave on a happy note, a “I did my favorite thing!’ before he had to face the unpleasantness of peers who don’t quite understand him. This year he has been saying things like, “I want to be a hermit” and I talked to a teacher who just mentioned in passing how the protectiveness of Samuel’s former class room aid pointed toward children not being so nice to Samuel on the playground.

He is exhibiting an escalation in bad behaviors which have been decreased since I have strategically used his WII as an early morning device as well as a conversation topic and a subject for social stories.

He walked out the door this morning and I reminded him. “I believe in you. Samuel, I love you!” I have trained myself to use four word sentences when he is leaving for school and when he is coming home from school. He appreciates that uniformity.

Since I love him, I have taught myself to do what he needs to begin the day well.

1 comment:

  1. I felt emtionally stirred when i read this daily....the ways you connect with your son and his uniqueness is very special...x

    ReplyDelete